Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Part 3: Transcending

Watch the following video, read the song lyrics, and then answer the 2 questions:




(Written by Ryan Wisniewski and Phil Maeder):

Don't think of me as Emerson or Henry D. Thoreau,
The mind and earth my temple, to nature I must go.
Let divinity of soul be my only guide,
From this awful sad society, now I must go and hide.

TranscenDental, won't offer root canals.
TranscenDental, won't ever touch those mouths.

I'm like Emile Hirsch from "Into the Wild",
Born and raised at Walden Pond, I am an only child.
The part will always outweigh the sum,
Transcendentalism will always be number 1.

TranscenDental, won't offer root canals.
TranscenDental, won't ever touch those mouths.

Civil disobedience is what I've come to preach,
Love for the individual a message I did teach.
If with my strict ideology, your viewpoints just don't agree,
Then live in homes, I'll be alone; transcendentalism's the life for me.

TranscenDental, won't offer root canals.
TranscenDental, won't ever touch those mouths.

TranscenDental, won't offer root canals.
TranscenDental, won't ever touch those mouths.

1. The song makes a funny play on the word "dental" by pointing out that "transcendental" doesn't have anything to do with an office visit to get one's teeth cleaned. So if that's not what it means, what in the world does "transcend" mean after all? Define the word, and use it in a sentence:

A. Definition
B. Sentence using the word correctly

2. What did the Transcendentalists believe in and what did they believe it "transcended?" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendentalism)